Thursday, June 14, 2012

Farmer's Market Find: Success?

For some reason, I woke up at the crack of dawn this past Saturday.  I decided to take advantage of having a full morning and went for a long run that ended at the farmer's market.  The amount of produce and stands have definitely increased in the past few weeks.  There were tons of apples, strawberries, cherries, flowers, and more to choose from!  I visited my regular stand to get some apples and then found a new stand for flowers.  They offered to build me a bouquet for whatever price I was willing to pay.  It turned out beautiful.  I even had several people stop me as I walked home to ask me where I got my flowers.



Last summer, I saw rhubarb at the farmers market.  I had never had, let alone used, rhubarb before.  I was feeling adventurous and decided to buy some and see what I could do.  Rhubarb grows in stalks, so it looks like red celery.  It is actually a vegetable, not a fruit like it is commonly thought to be, but is commonly used in pies and other desserts.  I looked up a couple different recipes and decided to make rhubarb cinnamon muffins.



Overall, I would say is it was a semi-success.  The actual muffin base turned out really good.  It was a good basic, healthy muffin base that can be used for a variety of different recipes.  Unfortunately, this muffin base did not work well with the rhubarb.  Rhubarb has a slightly bitter taste which did not work well with this muffin base.  Next time, I would either add brown sugar to the muffin mix or add in another sweeter fruit (like strawberries) in addition to the rhubarb.  Or who knows...maybe I'm just not a huge rhubarb fan.

Before being baked

Ready from the oven (at least they looked pretty)

Not everyone agreed with my uncertain feelings about these muffins.  I brought them to work and everyone there complimented them and finished them off!  Just goes to show two things:
1. You will not think every recipe you try is a success, but try anyway.
2. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean someone else won't too.

To be honest, I'm not going to share the full recipe because I don't really think it is worth sharing.  Even though it failed I'm glad that I tried to do something different and new. Who knows, maybe I will perfect it another day.  I promise to make a yummy treat next week to make up for this "failure" :(

No comments:

Post a Comment