Monday, July 30, 2012

A Special Birthday and the BTN Big 10k

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister, Danielle!  It's the big 3-0 and I wish that I could be there celebrating with her (and eating some Dessert Gallery diner cake).  I love you and hope you have a special day!


This past Saturday was the BTN Big 10k.  Having gone to Michigan, I am obviously a huge Michigan fan and will take any opportunity I can to sport my maize and blue pride.  I was clearly excited for this race!  The packet pick-up was at Fleet Feet, not far from my apartment.  I went after work on Thursday and it was extremely easy and fast.  I don't think I have ever gone in and out of a race packet pick up so quickly...definite plus!  The race shirt was a dry fit running shirt supporting your Big Ten school.  I love the shirt and will definitely be sporting it once its cooler outside.




The morning of the race, I ate my typical pre-run snack: 1/4 of a banana and a "lara-ball".  I wore a maize and blue sport bra and a neon yellow running shirt to show off my Michigan pride.  



The race started at 7:40, so I was up and out of the apartment by 6:30.  I have to admit, I'm kind of getting used to the early Saturday mornings.  The past couple days it had been really hot in Chicago, but the morning of the run it was 75 degrees and not humid.  Not bad for running weather!  



The race started at Soldier Field and went south of the city.  It was along the lakefront path and there were gorgeous views the entire run (always a plus).  Throughout the course, there were people dressed in football uniforms, fight songs playing, and even a slip 'n slide at the halfway 3 mile point.  I swear that each time I passed a stereo, the Michigan fight song was playing.  Talk about perfect timing!




I felt really good the first half of the run. Maybe too good because my first three miles were fairly faster than I usually run.  I started to slow down (most likely also because I was getting tired from going faster) for the last 3 miles but it was a good thing. Also, the second half of the run, the wind pushed against me for a while.  Overall, I had a pretty good run.  I finished in 58 min and 10 sec (about a 9:30 mile/min).  I'm keeping ahead of my last year pace, which is always motivating and exciting!


After the run, there was a tailgate area set up with food, beer, and games.  I met up with Lindsay by the Michigan tent, another blogger and Michigan fan!




A couple other friends ran and we all met up after everyone finished.



And then, naturally, we went to brunch!

Tomorrow, Sweet Tooth Runner is having it's first ever GIVEAWAY!  Be sure to check it out...you are going to LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment