Thursday, August 9, 2012

New Lara-ball Flavor

Nuts and dried fruit are a great snack, especially pre-workout.  Nuts contain protein which provides energy.  Specifically, protein is best for "long haul" energy as oppose to carbohydrates which are more immediate.  Dried fruit, such as raisins, provide similar performance benefits when compared to sport gels.  Nuts and dried fruit are also extremely portable, cheap, and easy to find.  This is a huge reason why they are my go to pre-work out snack.

As much as I love the Lara-ball flavors that I posted here, I needed a change.  I checked out the different Larabars and decided to try Peanut Butter and Jelly.

I checked out the back of the label to see what ingredients were included.  Just 3 simple ingredients: peanuts, dates, and cherries.  While I love cherries an cherry flavor, I'm not a huge fan of the cherry and peanut butter combo.  I opted for strawberry flavor instead.


Peanut Butter and Jelly Lara-balls
Ingredients:
3/4 cup dates
3/4 cup peanuts
1 tbl sugar free strawberry jelly
-you could also use any other sugar free jelly or a small handful (ex: 5 cherries, 2 strawberries, a couple of blueberries)


Instructions:
1. Blend all ingredients in blender
2. Form into 6 balls.

Since this recipe uses jelly or fresh fruit, store it in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment