Thursday, May 31, 2012

Breakfast time!



For me, there are 2 requirements for my breakfast: its filling and I can eat it on the go.  I wake up early and therefore eat breakfast early.  I need something that will fill me up until lunchtime (usually a good 4 hours).  Also, since I'm already waking up early, I'm not spending tons of time preparing breakfast in the morning.  I need something fast  that I can take with me on the bus that isn't messy and is easy to eat.



In my opinion, the ideal breakfast includes some form of fruit, protein, and carb.  Here are a few of my favorite breakfasts on the go divided into 3 categories: make that morning and make ahead.

MAKE THAT MORNING
1. Waffle-which
-2 multi grain waffles
-peanut butter
-banana on the side

2. The Quick Breakfast Wrap (no cook)
-tortilla (or flat out)
-peanut butter
-sliced strawberries or apples


MAKE AHEAD
I only really have one "go to" make ahead breakfast and it's Baked Oatmeal.  It's become a regular in my breakfast routine and I have it most mornings.  I am giving you the basic recipe, but it can be changed to your favorite flavors. Try experimenting with the basic recipe to make it your own!

Baked Oatmeal (1 serving)
Ingredients:
3/4 cup oats
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 large egg white
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Above are the key/basic ingredients.  Here are 2 of my favorite flavor options:
3 tbl canned pumpkin puree
2 packets sweetener
OR
1/2 mashed banana (my new favorite flavor)

Other add ins include:
raisins, craisins, shredded coconut, chocolate chips

This is a banana flavor with raisins.

Instructions:
-Preheat oven to 375
-Spray mini loaf pan
-Mix key ingredients
-Stir in flavor options and add ins.
-Bake for 10-12 minutes.

This recipe is easy to multiply.  If you make 4 servings bake it in a 9 x 9 pan or use a muffin pan (about 3 muffins equals 1 serving. Bake for about 8 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment