Friday, June 1, 2012

"You're Hungry? Do you want something to drink?"

I hate it when people ask if I want a drink when I say that I am hungry.  However, they are right.  Sometimes, the hunger you feel is your body's way of telling you that you are becoming dehydrated and need to drink.  And with me, chances are that is most likely the case.

I have a bad habit...I rarely drink water.  With breakfast, I drink coffee.  I don't keep a cup at my desk to drink at work.  For dinner, I pour myself a glass of water but usually end up throwing it out.  I bring a water bottle with me to the gym and drink while I'm working out. So, as you can tell, the gym is the only time I actually drink.



According to the Institute of Medicine, the average man is suppose to drink 3 liters (13 glasses) and the average woman is suppose to drink 2.2 liters (9 glasses) of water a day.  That sounds like a lot of water, but not once you consider that water makes up 60% of your body weight.  Here are just a few benefits of water:


1. Young and Beautiful
Water helps keep your skin healthy by moisturizing it and keeping it fresh.  It contributes to helping you look youthful and clear of acne or zits.

2. Slim and Trim
Drinking water can help to contribute to goals of weight loss. Water helps with weight loss by removing the by products of fat and keeping you healthy.

3. Fresh and Clean
Water plays a vital role in our bodies.  Every system of your body depends on water in order to function.  When you drink water, you are ensuring that your body is clean and "running smoothly".

Every New Year, one of my resolutions is to drink more water.  And every New Year, I do a great job at it for a few weeks and then fail.  So, I'm making a mid Year re-resolution to drink more water.  The water bottle I bring to the gym is a little less than a liter.  I am pledging to drink 2 bottles worth each day.  Hopefully this resolution holds up longer than before and becomes a habit.

Me and my water bottle starting the day off right!

Is anyone else trying to set a health/fitness goal for the next couple months or the rest of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment